Pages

Sunday, February 02, 2014

Hasty emails and blogs

Two excursions in January - which with the weather we have been having is some achievement.

My email announcing last Thursday's had a few slight errors but no matter - we discussed quite a lot of botany and even recorded some which we could be sure of.

I had said we would walk up the Hepste but actually the river I was targeting was the Mellte - into which the Hepste runs. (The OS map had places near the river named Cil-hepste - maybe in former times that was the name that survived after the confluence ?)

But those of us who assembled at Dinas Rock Car Park decided on a longer route in any case - which did take us to the Hepste and the wonderful waterfall on it called Sgwd yr Elra.

Sgwd yr Elra

We spent some time behind and nearby to this looking for filmy ferns and found none - which was disappointing as there are many records for them there (but all before 2000 I think). I am now definitely worried that I cannot see British Hymenophllyums - as I am tuned to the abundant West Cork ones ! This was definitely perfect habitat as far as I could see.

Still it was a great walk and another part of Brecknockshire I now know better for future recording at a better time of year.

Heather WAS able to identify two of these wonderful lichens:

Usnea ceratina and Usnea subfloriana on Larch



Oh and we did visit the Asplenium trichomanes subsp. pachyrachis near Dinas Rock...


And today a bracing walk up to the Trig point on Brechfa Common:

No botany apart from noticing a good variation of habitat for such an area and several trees and plants worth a recording trip later in the year.

Patrick Crellin at the Trig point



(I said it was a hasty blog...)



No comments: